I have been birding almost ever day with tours for the last 4-weeks, I
have seen many good birds including this cool bird. This may be the
first photo documented report of Superb Starling for the U.S. I don't
know if this is a good thing, but it sure is a beautiful bird! There
were two birds together that were defending a territory, I believe that
they were nesting in a Coconut Palm where we saw them perched. They were
chasing other birds away from the area where they were feeding and
possibly nesting. One of the birds was banded the other one was not.

http://www.southfloridabirding.com/images/tasphotos/superbstarling.jpg

The birds were seen in Hallandale Beach at the intersection of
Hallandale Beach Blvd. and Ocean Drive. There is a fire station here on
the east side of Ocean Drive. Look in the fenced empty lot left of the
fire station. There is a parking area east of this empty lot, parking is
around $5.00? The birds were seen feeding on the ground of this lot and
sitting in some of the Coconut Palms.

By the way, Superb Starlings are native to Africa.

Larry Manfredi
Homestead, FL.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.southfloridabirding.com