Hey Everybirdy,

  Did a north to south run on Shiloh Marsh Road late this  afternoon.
Shorebirds were rather sparse.  A few large flocks 100-200  birds consisting mostly
of Dunlin and Least Sandpipers.  Handfuls of  Yellowlegs around, smatterings
of Semipalmated Plovers and Semipalmated  Sandpipers and 2 Western Sandpipers.
About a mile north  of Patillo Creek Road was about 7 or 8 Scaup.  From the
looks of the  males I'd say Greater, but they were far out and tucked in.
Between Shiloh  3 and Weather Tower Rd were 4 female Red-breasted Mergansers- two
of which were  rather "blonde" looking.  Was interesting as I had happened to
also find  one at work on the Cape today too.

  What has been a rather interesting stop fro me lately as  I travel through
the refuge is a small marsh opening along SR 406 about 1/4 mile  west of SR 3.
 It's a sort of pool along the trough that runs alongside the  road.  While
it's usually full of water, it is now obviously drying up  and leaving in it's
wake a rich looking soft mud and lush blanket of green  grasses.   A month ago
while the water was still somewhat higher,  I could easily find 4 or 5 Sora
and same number of Swamp Sparrows.   While I have found neither lately, it's
current occupants were a nice  find:
3 Solitary Sandpipers
1 Spotted Sandpiper
1 Least Sandpiper
12-15 Bobolinks (both male and females)
8 Red-winged Blackbirds (at least!)
3 Black-crowned Night Herons (2 juveniles)
1 Wood Stork
1 Lesser Yellowlegs
3 White Ibis
2 Snow Egrets
1 Great Egret
1 Green Heron

 I imagine the early morning hours will find Sora  there and who knows what
else.  Shhhh, let this be our little secret  though, ok?  ;-)

See you out there!

Thomas J. Dunkerton
Titusville,  Florida
_www.pbase.com/boidpikchas_ (http://www.pbase.com/boidpikchas)