posted on behalf of Gail Menk:

CHAT TIME IN LEON COUNTY

On 26 APRIL, I listed 3 Semipalmated Sandpipers at the Springhill Road
Sewage Treatment Facility (SRSTF). On 29 APRIL, 2 male Bobolinks
unexpectedly were at Rhoden Cove, and I pondered whether they would
prove to be my only spring records this time round! A Yellow-breasted
Chat was singing (if you want to call it "singing") near the
boat landing.

Five Semipalmated Plovers  were at SRSTF on 3 MAY, another at Faulk
Drive Landing on 4 MAY.  On 5 MAY, I was surprised to count -6- vocal
Chats (saw one) at the clear-cuts within easy walking distance from the
entrance to the Ochlockonee River State Park off Stoneler Road, and
Marvin Collins and I heard 2 such birds on 6 MAY on Rococo Road.  Guess
it's been "chat time" for me county-wise.  Clear-cuts, with their
attendant emergent transitional growth of 5-or-so years, have seemed
to attract the species during spring/summers of past years.

FANTASTIC INVASION OF THE KILLER? APPLE SNAILS (Breaking News):  Said
exotic snails which now infest the environs of Leon County's Lake
Munson are now appearing dramatically at Tallahassee's Lake Elberta
Park (Church's Chicken), where pinkish egg clusters are fast becoming
attached to just about every stick, stone, chicken bone, aluminum can
or other available hard substance.

I've been advised by biologist/entomologist John Epler that these snails
may very well not be a good thing environmentally, but I cannot further
elucidate this matter scientifically.  BUT, are we birders to eventually
be up to our elbows with hungry Limpkins at Lake Elberta Park? REMEMBER,
you heard about it here first.

---(Mr.) Gail E. Menk
--

Fran C. Rutkovsky