I checked out this link and also saw the local TV news article on which it
was probably based, both were based on information provided by wildlife
rehab people with no input from birders and contained errors and
questionable information.  The birds identified in the web article as
Yellow Warblers were actually Common Yellowthroats and in the TV version
they were much closer and called them "Yellowthroat Warblers".  Yellow
Warblers are usually rare during spring migration in Southeast Florida and
I've seen none here this spring.  In the TV version one of the rehab people
who was also a chiropractor said that he was treating the injured birds by
adjusting their necks and that they were also giving them a pain killer
which in the web version was identified as ibuprofen.  I know little about
veterinary medicine but both these treatments seemed unusual to me with the
possibility of doing more harm than good.

Due to the prolonged west winds over the last week caused by the unusual
subtropical storm off Northeast Florida and possibly the smoky haze that
has at times limited visibility to as little as a mile we have been seeing
unusual numbers of late migrants, mostly Common Yellowthroats but also
plenty of American Redstarts, and Blackpoll Warblers as well as lesser
numbers of seven or eight other warbler species.  I've heard reports of
numbers of birds, mostly Common Yellowthroats, being killed and injured by
collisions with cars and windows in developed areas near the coast but in
the more natural areas I've been birding during the last week there was no
unusual mortality.  The bird banders I've talked with said the birds
they've handled showed no unusual signs of stress.  It has been a very good
week for birding in the Broward and Dade County area but as is so often the
case what is good for the birders is usually bad for the birds but I've
seen little evidence of a major migration disaster in South Florida.

Bryant Roberts
Davie, Fl

floridabirds-L nomail