Thanks, Bryant

I was more interested in learning about the effect of smoke on birds
that are trying to fly through it, rather than the phenomenon of
migration--though that's always an interesting and somewhat
unfathomable subject.

It would seem to me that birds would chose not to fly through this
stuff.  Maybe they can fly way above it?  I assume it would have some
negative effect on their lungs and stamina.

Dotty Robbins

-- "Bryant Roberts" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We never got the heavy smoke and haze down here that you got in North
Central Florida, the worst visibility I witnessed was about one
mile.  The
smoke probably wasn't a problem in south America and the Caribbean and
didn't effect the numbers of migrants departing from there.  The main
controlling factors for spring migrant numbers on the southeast coast
are
wind direction and heavy rain.  The rain will force down migrants that
would normally overfly the area and westerly winds will cause
migrants that
find themselves out over the ocean to attempt to fly towards the
coast and
land.  On the west coast easterly winds have a similar effect.

The only unusual thing I noticed while birding near the coast during
the
smoky westerlies was that while there was the usual peak in arrivals
late
in the morning birds appeared to be coming in off the ocean through
the
late afternoon.  This makes me wonder if the limited visibility
caused some
disorientation while the migrants were over the ocean, perhaps causing
losses there.  It would be interesting to know if there were reports
during
this period of unusual numbers of birds landing on ships in the
Atlantic
off the southeastern US.

I really haven't studied migratory behavior as much as I should have
but I
believe important factors influencing the departure of migrants
include the
physical condition of the bird, wind direction, and the birds ability
see stars after sunset.  Smoky conditions in Florida could have made
it
difficult for birds to see the stars and delayed departure.

Bryant Roberts
Davie, Fl