On 13 May, I listed 2 Marsh Wrens at Leon County's Rhoden Cove (saw one).  I know of only 2 later spring county records of the species -- 2 casualties at the WCTV tower 14 May 1958.  Another record "on the ground" is of 3 individuals in east Leon County by David Harder on 10 May 1977.

On this 13 May, a Screech Owl responded to a tape recording near the parking space where I have recorded the species in past years.  What a fun place, Rhoden Cove!On 15 May a Ring-billed Gull flew over the Miccosukee Greenway where I also listed 3 "poky" female Bobolinks.

On 17 May John Murphy alerted me both to a singing Swainson's Warbler and presence of 20 or more Cedar Waxwings at the Robert White Williams Birding Trail (RWW).  later JM pointed  out a western sandpiper at the Springhill Road Sewage Treatment Facility where we also encountered 2 White-rumped Sandpipers.  We then saw 4 or the latter at Southwood along with 4 Semi-palmated Plovers, 3 Forster's Terns, and 1 Least Tern.

The latest known spring county record for the Cedar Waxwings on 28 May 1969 in Tallahassee by James M Stevenson.  The Swainson's Warbler is now listed at RWW as a viable songster for April, May, and June (2005 - 2007)

(Mr.) Gail E. Menk