posted on behalf of Gail Menk:

INTERLUDE

I become more and more intrigued by discovery of previously unseen
numbers of abandoned bird nests in my yard--as I walk to my car, mailbox,
also while performing various yard chores, especially during fall/winter.

Such inadvertent discoveries are usually at eye-level and no doubt
more visible after seasonal winds and rains have partially detached
them along with the result of the decay and fall of surrounding leaves
and supporting twigs.  Hence, my appreciation of a poem by
Edward Thomas, executed as follows:

    The summer nests uncovered by autumn wind,
    Some torn, others dislodged, all dark,
    Everyone sees them: Low or high in tree,
    or hedge, or single bush, they hang like a mark.

    ...I cannot help a little shame
    That I missed most, even at eye's level, till
    the leaves blew off and made the seeing no game....

(Mr. Gail E. Menk)

--

Fran C. Rutkovsky
Tallahassee, FL