Hey y'all,

With reference to Dave Goodwin's note on Limpkins and the population of apple snails in the waters in Boyd Hill: the numerous ponds, canals etc that populate the adjacent properties (Lakewood Estates and the St Pete C.C.) to Boyd Hill also contain the Limpkin's food source as well as mussels which I have also seen the bird take and eat.  There have been several nights in the early spring and even during the day when Limpkins "scream" in canals near my home--close enough that they are a "yard bird."

Lee Snyder
St Pete