A few people made it out to the inlet today to witness the recent pelagics.  The storm-petrels were slower than expected, with only two Leach's with only one of them approaching the jetty and allowing photographs.  This bird stayed around for a few minutes before heading north, unlike all of the other ones I have seen this week.  Commic Terns put on a good show with between 2 and 5 Arctics and 2 Commons.  A young Arctic worked the jetty for about 20 minutes.  Other than these, Northern Gannets were fairly regular, about fifty today, with a majority being first year and lesser numbers of second year birds.  I saw a third year either yesterday or today.  Three Least Terns were seen feeding north of the jetty.  Manatees continued to be seen well, with at least six off the jetty today.  The tidal area had Eastern Willet, Sanderling, Ruddy Turnstone, and Great Black-backed Gull.

Andy Bankert
Melbourne Beach, FL