While I was on my trip to Ohio/Michigan, these east winds we have been experiencing for some time have finally pushed some birds in.  When I checked some areas last Thursday there was nothing.  Now there are storm-petrels.

Coconut Point had a flyby Leach's in the hour I was there, but I figured since it was staying in the surf, it would be better to go to the Sebastian Inlet where there was a jetty.  While I pulled up to the parking lot at the inlet I could see an Arctic Tern working its way from the bridge to the end of the jetty.  Before I reached the end of the jetty there were two Wilson's Storm-petrels sitting in the water.  In the hour and a half I spent at the end of the jetty, Leach's (4) and Wilson's (2-3) would occasionally come up close to the jetty and work their way offshore in the rough water flowing into the inlet.  After a while they might have circled back, or moved elsewhere.  The closest one ever came was a Leach's that looked like it was within 20 feet of the jetty.  There was also a young tern that looked like an Arctic that had a dark bill, half dark head with a few small dark spots on the forhead.  The tail was fairly long and white, the wings were slightly gray, and only the tips of the primaries were dark.  There were also two manatees off the end of the jetty.  I will be back out all week to see the Storm-petrels some more.

Good Birding,
Andy Bankert
Melbourne Beach