Antoinette,
I've used Mike Rose's "Lives on the Boundary" with success. Also, my
colleague has used "My Freshman Year" by Rebekah Nathan. Some
articles/chapters  I use include "Mind Games Procrastinators Play" by
Burka and Yuen (it's about procrastination), Hubin & Lesyk's
"Analyze, Synthesize, Organize: An active approach to exam prep,"
excerpts from "Making the Most of College" by Light, and Lucille
McCarthy's "A Stranger in Strane Lands". I also use a number of
chapters from "Tools for Teaching" by Barbara Davis. It is a book
written for faculty about teaching, but is remarkably helpful for
students and they feel as if they've been let in on some faculty
"secrets" by reading these texts. Similarly, I use from Change
Magazine, Halpern and Milton's "Applying the Science of Learning to
the University and Beyond: Teaching for Long-term Retention and
Transfer".
Best,
Nic

>Hello Colleagues:
>

>I am planning for my first-year college seminar course, Fall, 07.
>

>Wonder if others could suggest both novels about students making the
>transition
>
>to their first year of college and current periodical articles on the
>general topics
>
>we cover in a first-year seminar course (i.e., self-management,
>responsibility,
>
>planning/time management, achieving goals, success habits, motivation,
>etc.)
>

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Antoinette McConnell
>
>Coordinator of Academic Development Resources and Initiatives
>
>Project Success, Northeastern Illinois University

>web browser to

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center