This is excellent!  Thank you.

>>> Janice Smith <[log in to unmask]> 6/18/2007 9:04 am >>>
I have attached the handout I used at the NCLCA conference fall 06 - the
last page lists specific movies and the chapters I used - Emperor's Club,
Paper Chase, Dangerous Minds, Mr. Holland's Opus, and October Sky. The idea
was to see different views of learning and teaching, and to contrast
tutoring to teaching.  I think this is important because students come to
tutoring with models of teaching, both effective and not effective, in mind.

Others I have used in tutor training are Fraggle Rock, first episode,
Chapter 5 (importance of prior knowledge), Born Yesterday, Chapter 6 (memory
aid), Apollo 13, Chapter 12 (team work, real-world problem-solving), and
Akeelah and the Bee, Chapter 12 (somatic learning).

I purchased the videos and use less than 3 minutes of each. While I am not a
copyright expert, I understand that such educational use fits the fair use
guidelines.

Janice E. Smith

Learning Center Coordinator

Penn State Harrisburg