I have used PLATO for the past five years but canceled the agreement
this year because I have not found it to be as user friendly or helpful
as another on-line system "MySkillsTutor"
http://www.achievementtech.com/ that we use as well.

In fact, we also use this system as part of our hiring procedures in
which we test the applicants by subject with a pre-test. If the
applicants are hired, part of our training procedure requires them to go
back into the system and complete all the learning modules that were
determined as needed remediation based on the pre-test. They then
complete the post test, which provides me with a quantitative
assessment. It also gets my tutors familiar with the program so they can
use it when they are tutoring.

What I liked about this system is that we have on-line
self-instructional help from K-college in sciences, math, writing, work
ethics, etc. It is great when we tutor because we can go back as far as
necessary for remediation. Also, our faculty are very happy with it and
create student assignments in it for their classes.

Christine Reichert, M.A.

Editor The Learning Assistance Review (TLAR)
  publication of National College Learning Center Association (NCLCA)
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Director of Academic Services
WIN Center
Lourdes College