From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kate Jakobson
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 12:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Nursing Tutoring

Hello All:

I was wondering if any of you deal with difficulties in finding tutors for
Nursing classes.  Given the rigorous nature and tight scheduling of Nursing
programs, I've been having an extremely hard time finding peer tutors for
any of those classes.  Locating professional tutors is even more difficult
as they're all out there working ungodly hours (we have a massive shortage
of nurses in the area, as many parts of the country do) and I can't compete
with the pay rates even if they were willing/able to tutor.

I guess I'm wondering, for those of you at schools with Nursing Programs, if
your Tutoring/Learning Centers handles tutoring for those classes or if the
Nursing departments themselves handle the whole thing.  Given the critical
nature of these courses, I would like to see the Nursing department
themselves handle the tutoring and study groups, etc. for their courses as
they know exactly what's needed.  But to convince our administration, I'm
sure that I'm going to need some data on the issue.

Any thoughts and information would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Kate

Kate Jakobson, Director

Tutoring and Student Success

Kirtland Community College