1.  How are reading courses taught at your institution?  How many
courses are offered?  What is the sequence?

We offered our first, and only, reading course this past year: RD 101
Reading Improvement for College Students (3 credits). Students are
advised, but not required, to take the course based on a COMPASS reading
score below 80.

2.  Who teaches those courses?  FT/adjunct?  What is the ratio of FT to
adjunct?

One full-time (me) and one adjunct instructor teach the reading courses
as well as developmental writing.

3.  Where/How are instructors trained?

I have a master's in reading from Montana State University Billings and
a K-12 endorsement in reading. Our adjunct instructor does not have a
master's in reading, but she has taken many courses in reading
instruction and has taught reading at other colleges.

4.  What are other challenges your institution if facing regarding
teaching reading and composition at the developmental level?

We'd like the reading placement to be mandatory, so we're tracking our
students and comparing future success (persistence in enrollment
semester to semester, GPAs, graduation rates) of students who take the
course to those with equally low scores who did not take the course. If
the data shows students who take the course do better than those who
don't, we'll be able to justify mandatory placement. The state is also
closely examining all developmental education courses throughout the
university system right now because some governing members believe too
many students are being remediated. And, of course, funding is always a
concern.

Leanne H. Frost
Assistant Director
Academic Support Center