-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Long,Jeffrey
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 4:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Student Success Centers

Hello all -

I am in search of information regarding "one stop shop"-esque student

success centers offering a variety of support services to students in a

centralized location on campus:

1.         What services are provided in your center?  Tutoring in math,
writing, science, and foreign language; developmental courses in study
skills, writing, math, and reading.  We also offer a first year seminar
for at-risk students and students who place into our developmental
English course.

2.         Are the source offices for those services housed in the
center?

If not, are the services provided by staff from those offices or staff

hired specifically for the center?  The instructors for the math and
writing courses are housed in the learning center, you can see their
office space on the attached map.  I teach the first year seminar and
study skills course.  I am part of Student Services and have my office
in Student Services, which is not in close proximity of the learning
center.  You can see my office on the attached map in Meggers Hall.  The
person who teaches the developmental reading course is part-time and has
her office in the faculty wing (also located in Meggers Hall), again not
in close proximity of the learning center.

3.         Approximately how much space (square footage) is devoted to
your

center? If available, can you provide a floor plan of the center's

layout?  I have attached a map of our campus, specifically our
administration and classroom buildings.  We just finished a large
renovation/new construction project last fall.  The Learning Center is
on the map labeled "Ritzinger Hall."  I am not sure of the exact sq.
footage of the space.  I think it is about 600 sq ft. ... very small,
but twice the size of the space before the construction project.  Before
construction, the space was located in "Meggers Hall" (page one of the
attachment) in the space now know as "testing."

4.         What are the hours of operation?  Our center is open 8 am - 5
pm Monday - Friday.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!...Jeff

Jeff Long

Director of Learning Communities

Division of Student Success

New Mexico State University

(505) 646-5089

"Learning without thought is labor lost;

 thought without learning is perilous."

- Confucius

browser to