Joerg, that index is also known as the Herfindahl index and also as the
Hirschman index as well as (Herfindahl-Hirschman or HHI). I believe
Hirschman used it before Herfindahl. I don't know how old it is but I
suspect it is many decades old.

UCINET computes the index as part of the newer networks|egonet procedures.
Give it a network and a categorical attribute of nodes, it calculates
heterogeneity for each ego.

Also, for true egonet data, E-NET also produces heterogeneity measures.

steve

Steve Borgatti
Professor & Chair
Organization Studies Dept, Boston College
Tel: +1 781 400 5505 (home)
Fax: +1 781 453 7371
E-mail: [log in to unmask]