	-----Messaggio originale-----
	Da: Social Networks Discussion Forum per conto di Kenneth Chung
	Inviato: gio 07/06/2007 3.35
	A: [log in to unmask]
	Oggetto: Measure of Ego Tie Strength

	*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org <http://www.insna.org/>   *****

	Dear colleagues,

	I am seeking ideas and suggestions on how one accounts for tie strength of
	an ego node, when you are studying over 100 ego nodes individually. In my
	study, relational data is collected from over 100 individuals, where each
	individual may elicit up to maximum 15 ties. The research model tests
	whether tie strength is associated with individual outcome, eg. attitude to
	performance.

	Tie strength in my study is measured by:
	- closeness (4 point scale from very close to distant) and
	- frequency of contact (5 point scale ranging from daily to less often),
	although data on other variables such as 'time known' and 'relationship
	type' is also available.

	When it comes to calculation of tie strength for an ego node, how does one
	account for it? To the best of my knowledge and from what I've read from
	literature, one may

	1. use the average strength of ties for an ego (ie. sum the values of each
	tie from ego to alter and divide by count of ties). In this case, the values
	of each tie may be:
	        (i) the average of closeness and frequency values, or
	        (ii) the product of closeness and frequency values
	2. using 1, but take only the average of the top 5 or top 7 ties to the ego.
	This allows for comparison using a common baseline.

	Other approaches have been to consider tie strength of a node in terms of
	network proportions (see Reagans, R., & McEvily, B. (2003). Network
	Structure and Knowledge Transfer: The Effects of Cohesion and Range.
	Administrative Science Quarterly, 48, 240-267.), however, I understand this
	only works for sociocentric networks and not for ego networks as in my
	study.

	I'd like to confirm whether my limited understanding is correct and welcome
	comments and suggestions from you all.

	Thank you,

	sincerely,
	Ken