Monday, July 02, 2007 8:48 PM

This afternoon in North Cape Coral, we saw the Earliest Peregrine Falcon Ever in South Florida in over 40 Years.  The Bird was a Large Female, and was observed circling lazily at ca. 200 feet, when quite suddenly she pulled in her wings and stooped at a 75 - 80 degree angle toward an unseen prey item lying behind some trees and brush.  Whatever she was hunting, she must have hit it, since she did not reappear in flight as viewed from our location.

This is an unprecedented sighting for us, and is either a VERY early fall migrant, or possibly a post-breeding dispersal bird.  (Wes, where is the nearest FBBA record of Peregrine Nesting to SW Florida?)

Gary C. Hampton
Sandra H. Hampton
Cape Coral, Lee County, Florida