I birded yesterday in Miami-Dade and Broward County with two birders,
one from Florida and the other from Ohio. We started birding in the
Kendall area, we then worked our way up to Broward County and west to
Pembroke Pines, over to Key Biscayne and then south to my house in
Homestead. We had some excellent sightings for the day:

Spot-breasted Oriole
Yellow-chevroned Parakeet
Monk Parakeet
Mitred Parakeet
Hill Myna
SHORT-TAILED HAWK (dark morph), perched being harassed by Northern
Mockingbird, Hill Myna and Blue Jays. It allowed close approach for good
photos.
Magnificent Frigatebird
Lesser Black-backed Gull 22 birds
Piping Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Sanderling
Least Tern, hundreds
Royal Tern
SMOOTH-BILLED ANI four birds including at least one young, the birds are
nesting again which is great.
Purple Gallinule
Purple Swamphen
Bronzed Cowbird
SHINY COWBIRD
SUPERB STARLING, two birds in Hallandale Beach.

My family and I went into the Everglades last night and had a Great
Horned Owl just outside the park entrance on the phone wires. We also
had two Barn Owls one in the park and one outside. Many Common
Nighthawks but strangely we did not hear or see any Chuck-wills-widows.
No snakes or Panthers on this trip.

Check out the photo of the perched Short-tailed Hawk with an attacking
Blue Jay!

http://www.southfloridabirding.com/images/tasphotos/DSC_0033swtaki.jpg

Larry Manfredi
Homestead, FL