Dear Socnetters,

Ever since I started Connections in 1977, I've been putting germane
abstracts into it. Altho hard work (especially in the old days, when we
had to retype everything), surveys showed it was our most popular feature.

I've been sending abstracts to the editors of Connections weekly, but alas
Connections seems to have disappeared. (Am I the only one who misses it?)

So, starting NOW, I am going to put the abstracts online on Socnet, as
well as sending them to the editors for (what I hope) will be their
eventual appearance.

I rely heavily on Complexity Digest, btw. Here's the first one:

The Product Space Conditions the Development of Nations , Science

Excerpts: Network analysis of the products made by rich and poor countries
show that movement toward higher-profit products may be restricted for
much of the developing world.  Economies grow by upgrading the products
they produce and export. The technology, capital, institutions, and skills
needed to make newer products are more easily adapted from some products
than from others.  Here, we study this network of relatedness between
products, or "product space,"  finding that more-sophisticated products
are located in a densely connected core whereas less-sophisticated
products occupy a less-connected periphery.

* [5] The Product Space Conditions the Development of Nations, C. A.
Hidalgo, B. Klinger, A.-L. Barab?si, R. Hausmann, 07/07/27, Science :
482-487.

[5] http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/317/5837/482

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Centre for Urban & Community Studies           University of Toronto
  455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8     fax:+1-416-978-7162
  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
             For fun -- updating songs, movies and history:
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
          Elvis wouldn't be singing Return to Sender these days