Hello, All.

As predicted, I began sweating about 6:20 AM. Man, it
was humid and hot! The radio said only 88 around 11
but it felt much worse until the breezes started
around 9.

Prairie Warblers ruled the day with 15 banded. All
males. When I was extracting birds, there were still
several Prairies flitting all about but not going into
the nets. They were all over the place. MOre than I
can recall in any given day.

Maybe the females were smart enough not to hit the
nets? Or are they still straying behind? The males
were hatch-year and older.

I had hoped to get one Brown Thrasher I saw earlier in
the day but ende up with a different one at the
opposite end of the net lanes. A juv.  Eastern Towhee
literally flew straight into my hand as it escaped a
net.

I have had dreams of this happening. Go figure.

We were having a pretty good day when, dig this, we
got 2 FOTS Ovenbirds! My past few years of photos have
them at Wekiva no earlier than 8/20 but they are
checking the total records later on and we will know
for sure.

I see the Margeson's had one yesterday in St. Pete and
there are records of them in almost every month in
various spots throughout the years but this was a
pleasant surprise for all of us.

Last bird of the day, as we were taking down the nets,
was a FOTS Black and White Warbler.

Desipte the heat, an enjoyable morning.

Birds banded:

Carolina Wrens
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher
Brown Thrasher
Prairie Warblers
Red-eyed Vireos
Eastern Towhees
Ovenbirds

Other birds seen/heard:

Great-horned Owl
Barred Owl
Common Nighthawk
Northern Cardinal
Bobwhite
White-eyed Vireo
Chimney Swift
Osprey
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-bellied, Downey, PIleated Woodpecker
Tufted Titmouse
An unidentified Sparrow.

As for the Sparrow, I know that Bachman's live in the
park but this one was down next to the banding table,
seen briefly. Bachman's usually live much farther out
past the net lanes and this one seemed different to
me.

Anyone know of any Sparrows that might begin migrating
this early?

Andrew Boyle
Orlando, FL