Greetings Florida birders - it is no coincidence that there are 2 Curlew Sandpipers in FL right now.  The huge low pressure system that moved up the east coast to off Labrador earlier this week, which also dumped a lot of rain on Florida, disrupted the flights of these trans-ocean migrants.  It would not be surprising to have other species with similar migration patterns show up, such as Hudsonian Godwits, Golden Plovers, or maybe even a mega such as Ringed Plover, Black-tailed Godwit, Red-necked Stint, or Spotted Redshank.

If you have a good shorebird spot in your area, go check it out.  As you can see from where the CUSA in St. Pete was found, it does not have to be fancy, just a field with scattered ponds or standing water can attract and hold quite a few birds.  There were 9 other shorebird species, in addition to the Curlew Sp, when I was there this afternoon.  In a grass and mud retention pond in Alachua 2 years ago, there were 18 species seen in just a few days!

Thanks to Judy for posting this great find, and to everyone who called me to let me know it was here.

Bob Wallace
Alachua