Ann,

I know you have several resources at this point, but I wanted to offer one more: one that takes a holistic approach and helps students understand what online learning involves.

When students at my college go to our area on "Is Online Learning Right for You?", they find the following self-guided tutorial, which you can access at <http://www.laspositascollege.edu/onlinelearning/success.php> :

"Succeeding in an online course

Are you thinking about enrolling in an online course, but you're not sure what an online course is and if it's right for you? Or, have you already enrolled in one and just want to learn how to succeed in it?

In either case, you've come to the right place. This tutorial is intended to give you a comprehensive look at online learning at LPC. We hope that it not only answers all of your questions about online courses, but that it also provides you with the academic "tools" necessary to thrive in this relatively new, and exciting, method of learning.

View, and listen to, an overview of this tutorial. Requires Flash (Ann, one can also access the lessons via hyperlinks).

    * Lesson 1: What is an online course?
    * Lesson 2: Are online courses right for you?
    * Lesson 3: Successful study strategies
    * Lesson 4: Communicating online
    * Lesson 5: Online student ethics
    * Lesson 6: Preparing technologically
    * Lesson 7: LPC resources

Glossary of online learning terms: Flash | PDF

View a sample course. Click the Login button, then enter "blackboard" (without the quotes) for the username and "guest" for the password. This is not a full course; it is meant to give you an idea of what an online course consists of and looks like.

Some background information for the tutorial was obtained from California Virtual Campus, PBS, and various other sources on the Web."

With all best wishes,

Dale
--
Dale Katherine Ireland