Sonya,

We did one better than a hand out.  We created a power point
presentation and invited ourselves to department meetings around campus.
 The presentation explained our programs, shared some statistics, and
set expectations, ie.  "What tutoring is, What tutoring isn't, What
students can do, What faculty can do, What Academic Tutoring will do."

The idea developed from our holding an open house for faculty.  Very
few faculty attended, so we figured we would go to them.   We also went
to all the student services departments so those employees would know
the right information for referring students to us.

It has been a very productive activity.  For example, in the physics
department meeting, one long-time faculty member asked me something
about our being a part of the math department.  I was able to let him
know that the Math Lab has not been "owned" by the math department for
15 years.  But of course, we have a good cooperative relationship.

I can't access the document right now-- our network files seem to be
unaccessible.  I'll try to send it later.

Kathy

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Math Lab Manager
Utah Valley State College
801-863-8411

>>> "Prince, Sonya" <[log in to unmask]> 9/24/2007 7:54 AM >>>

Hello everyone,

I am having problems with students not understanding that tutors do
not
teach. My co-worker suggested I create a form to hand out to students
which outlines what they can or cannot do. Does anyone have any
examples
of similar handouts?

You can reply to me off the list serve at : [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance,

Sonya M. Prince

Learning Lab Supervisor

Student Success Center