-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathryn VanWagoner
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: tutor resignation

I try to over hire, just a little bit.  It has a few benefits.  For
example, if a tutor wants 20 hours a week and I schedule him for 18, he
is more likely to substitute when it is needed and he is less likely to
get overwhelmed.  The tutors that I hire later are told that I can only
give them 10 hours right now, but likely more later.  Then I'm not in a
panic when someone quits.  Invariably, someone will quit or reduce hours
about this time of the semester.  I have about 30 tutors -- so I have
more flexibility than a center that only need 10 or fewer tutors.

Kathy

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Director, Math Advantage Programs
Utah Valley State College
801-863-8411

ad-van-tage   n.  A factor conducive to success.
>>> "Elizabeth Dewey" <[log in to unmask]> 09/25/07 8:17 AM >>>
You can't do much.  We try to be careful that tutors aren't scheduled
for more hours than are reasonable, and can excuse an occasional
absence, but if people feel overscheduled or other parts of their lives
implode . . . so it goes

Elizabeth Dewey
Teaching/Learning Center, Delta College
University Center, MI 48710