From: Tricia Paramore [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MRADE] Missouri-Kansas report: Parents, kids don't seeneed for
math, science skills/article-li

Dan,

Thanks for sharing this important information with educators out there!  How
incredible that individuals would think math, science, and technology are
not important for them when our society (probably including these
individuals) is increasingly dependent upon technology, which, as we know,
is based on math and science.

My dissertation addressed these very issues, so I would like to share with
you (and others if you feel it is appropriate), the link to my dissertation.
The document can be downloaded for free.  The link is:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cehsedaddiss/4/

Most may not be interested in reading the entire dissertation, but Chapters
2 and 5 would certainly be of interest to anyone who found the link to the
article on KS-MO parents and kids not seeing the need for math and science.

Thank you so much!

Tricia Paramore

Tricia Paramore, Ph.D.
Biological Sciences
Co-Chair, Natural Science and Mathematics Department
Hutchinson Community College
1300 N. Plum
Hutchinson, KS 67501
620.665.3438

Expanding the tradition of excellence through learning and collaboration.

>>> "Dan Kern" <[log in to unmask]> 9/26/2007 6:39 AM >>>
Parents, kids don't see need for math, science skills

According to the report, titled "Important, But Not for Me: Parents and
Students in Kansas and Missouri Talk About Math, Science, and Technology
Education," parents and students say they understand the importance of MST
skills in general--but they don't see these as important for themselves.

The report is based on a survey of about 2,600 parents and students in
grades six through twelve from Kansas and Missouri public schools. It comes
from Public Agenda.

A key reason for parents' and students' complacency might be found in
another recent report, this one from the Alliance for Excellent Education
(AEE), which revealed that a fundamental disconnect exists between what high
school students are taught and the knowledge that is needed to succeed in
postsecondary education. (See
<http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=7363> "Report:
Schools aren't preparing kids for college".)

Print source/links/continue article:
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/PFshowstory.cfm?ArticleID=7380

Source:  http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=7380

Rootage:  http://www.principals.org/s_nassp/sec.asp?CID=525