At the College of Southern Idaho I address this with my tutors and assist them in communicating this to students.  We also add 'Tips for Tutoring' at the bottom of our posted schedules.  These are our tips for drop in tutoring:
TIPS FOR GETTING HELP AT THE MATH HELP DESK

	Complete as much of your homework before you come to get help and bring your book, calculator and assignment with you to get tutoring.

	Tutoring is done on a drop in basis.  Coming with specific questions will help the tutor help you most effectively.

	Be patient.  With drop in tutoring the tutor will help students as they arrive.

	The Learning Assistance Center is a great place to study, however the tutor is not there to sit and work through each homework problem.

	Tutoring is not a substitute for attending class.  Any new material should be taught by your instructor.

	Remember a tutor is a student too.  They will not have all the answers.

Kat Powell M.S., G.C.D.F.
Learning Assistance Coordinator
College of Southern Idaho
P.O. Box 1238
Twin Falls, ID 83303-1238
(208)732-6685
Fax (208)736-3029
**Remember no matter where you go, there you are.**