I try to make sure to discuss this with tutors when I hire them, asking
them to come and talk to me before things get so bad they have to quit.
When we work out a schedule, I usually hold back hours for a couple
weeks until they get their feet wet.  Then if they feel they can take on
more and I still have hours available, I 'll let them work more.

When a tutor comes to me and says they are getting overloaded, sometimes
it is just that several classes all have papers or projects due at once
and the tutor is having a difficult time managing everything.  Sometimes
I offer to let the tutor work shorter shifts or even have a week off to
catch up, or if it is a top tutor I will ask them to consider working
one day a week.  I will remind them how many students can benefit from
even one day of their help.  Usually this is all it takes and we are
able to work out a plan.  I have had only two in 4 years who resigned
totally because of the situation you are describing, and in that case I
respect their decision.  You don't want to sacrifice your program's
reputation if your tutors are supposed to be the top students at your
school,and you also don't want to jeopardize the tutor's own educational
plan.  It is always hard to lose good people, but there may be a lot of
other people whom you have overlooked.  Each semester I am amazed at the
talent that comes through my door looking for a job.  Also, don't forget
your faculty as a resource who can maybe refer someone to take the
tutor's place.

Good luck-
Vanessa

Vanessa Natseway