-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mayfield, Linda
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 1:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: assessment tool for ESL?

Marla,
	I would appreciate seeing responses to this question, too.  We
have recently had a number of students who had graduated from US high
schools, then attended community colleges, then transferred to us. We
only learned after they were in class that they were ESL students who
had come to the US in junior high and high school. Although they have a
level of mastery of conversational English, they don't have the level of
comprehension of English required for the heavy technical/scientific
nature of baccalaureate nursing education, and for several years, not a
single ESL student has been able to complete the program without
repeating at least one course. English is usually their third language,
and has not been the language spoken in the home of a single ESL student
I have interviewed. That discovery led to a policy change.
	We have added a question on our application asking what language
is spoken in the home, in hopes of identifying these students sooner,
and getting them help sooner. If English is not the language of the
home, we require a TOEFL score--a low score does not keep them from
being accepted, but it does route them into required academic assessment
and support immediately, instead of after failure and probation. This is
the first year of the new procedure, so I don't know how much it will
help, but I am optimistic. I just wish I had expertise in assisting ESL
students in academic, rather than conversational, English. Does anyone
know of a workshop,class, website or book that might help? Linda Riggs
Mayfield