At Santa Barbara City College, we use the CELSA and give the students a prompt in which they have 20 minutes to write/respond.  The raw scores are input to a formula (designed by  mathmetician Robert Elmore); the multiple measures and the raw scores yield placement into the core courses offered in the ESL Dept.

>>> "Stanek-Salvestrini, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]> 09/28/07 7:49 AM >>>
We too are looking for an pre and post assessment tool for our new
EAP/ESL program.  We have been considering COMPASS.  Does anyone have
suggestions?  Have you found one assessment more accurate than another?
You may respond to my e- mail address below.

Barbara Stanek- Salvestrini
English and World Language Department

Joliet Junior College
C1054