From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Beth Kupper-Herr
Sent: Sun 9/16/2007 10:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: looking for exemplary learning commons to visit in western states

Aloha from Hawaii,
Some time ago, I e-mailed this list to seek others' experiences in setting up a Learning Commons, and received some useful replies.  It seems that our campus may now be moving forward with this idea: while nothing is firm yet, our learning commons, if it does come to fruition, will probably include services currently provided by the LRC (tutoring, computer lab and laptops, makeup and distance testing), library, info tech/help desk, and disability services -- participation by other campus units, e.g., counseling, may be included but are not yet under discussion.  Anyway, I'm wondering whether anyone can recommend sites that some of us might visit, preferably in the western part of the country or continent, that are working well.  In the searches I've done, I've found relatively few learning commons that are at community colleges -- most seem to be at universities -- so would be esp. interested in what other community colleges have attempted this.  I'm also wondering whether t

here are other terms I should be searching for besides learning commons -- other names, that is, for the same thing (combined/synergistic academic support services for students). I've seen "information commons", but there the focus seems to be mainly on technology, which I don't think would fully capture what we have in mind.

Thanks in advance for any help this list can provide!

   beth

Beth Kupper-Herr
Professor
Coordinator, Learning Resource Center