The second point is important. Here, we can expidite anonymous research,
not confidential. With confidential we have to ensure that subjects are
protected -- for example, if the named others are to be contacted it
would not be approved. By converting names to numbers and destroying the
names (and how they linked to numbers), there would be no way for the
researcher or anyone else to identify those named.

HTH,
--Larry

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Tom Valente wrote:

> Steve:
>
> One thing I told my IRB early on in response to this issue was that we
> often ask adolescents if their parents smoke and if their siblings
> smoke, but we don't require parents and siblings to be consented.  So
> there is a precedent for respondents providing data on alters without
> them being consented.  (They did say however, that we could not ask
> respondents to indicate if their named peers smoked since smoking is
> illegal and we would be obligated to report on illegal behavior.  We
> could, however, ask if they thought each friend "approved of" smoking.)
>
> The second thing we emphasized is that confidentiality and anonymity are
> 2 different things.  We can conduct research that is confidential
> without being anonymous.  As long as we protect confidentiality then
> anonymity is less important.  Then we had to convince them we would
> convert names to numbers and then discard the names in a safe way.
>
> -Tom
>
> Steven Corman wrote:
>
> >*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
> >
> >Has anyone made further headway on how to deal with IRB demands that
> >people named in network questionnaires be considered consenting
> >subjects?  A student just submitted a proposal and got this reply from
> >our IRB:
> >

> >"There are spaces in the survey that ask respondents to list the names
> >of people they know or who influence them.  Please add the text 'Please
> >do not identify any individual by name-use a fake name or title for that
> >person instead' to each place this occurs.  If other people are
> >identified within the survey then they would qualify as subjects also
> >and would have to consent to data about them being used."
> >

> >As discussed at a Sunbelt a couple of years back, this makes network
> >research impractical to impossible.  If I am going to fight them I could
> >use some ammunition.
> >

> >Thanks...
> >

> >Steve
> >

> >_____________________________________________
> >
> >Steven R. (Steve) Corman
> >
> >Professor, Hugh Downs School of Human Communication
> >
> >Arizona State University
> >
> >http://www.public.asu.edu/~corman/

> --
> Evaluating Health Promotion Programs (Oxford U. Press):
> http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html
>
> My personal webpage:
> http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/
>
> The Empirical Networks Project
> http://ipr1.hsc.usc.edu/networks/
>
> ---
> Thomas W. Valente, PhD
> Director, Master of Public Health Program
> http://www.usc.edu/medicine/mph/
> Department of  Preventive Medicine
> School of Medicine
> University of Southern California
> 1000 S. Fremont Ave.
> Building A Room 5133
> Alhambra CA 91803
> phone: (626) 457-6678
> fax: (626) 457-6699
> [...]

Lawrence E. Raffalovich
Associate Professor

Department of Sociology               e-mail: [log in to unmask]
University at Albany
State University of New York          Voice: (518) 442-4456
1400 Washington Ave.                  Fax:   (518) 442-4936
Albany, NY 12222