Steve:

One thing I told my IRB early on in response to this issue was that we
often ask adolescents if their parents smoke and if their siblings
smoke, but we don't require parents and siblings to be consented.  So
there is a precedent for respondents providing data on alters without
them being consented.  (They did say however, that we could not ask
respondents to indicate if their named peers smoked since smoking is
illegal and we would be obligated to report on illegal behavior.  We
could, however, ask if they thought each friend "approved of" smoking.)

The second thing we emphasized is that confidentiality and anonymity are
2 different things.  We can conduct research that is confidential
without being anonymous.  As long as we protect confidentiality then
anonymity is less important.  Then we had to convince them we would
convert names to numbers and then discard the names in a safe way.

-Tom

Steven Corman wrote:

>Has anyone made further headway on how to deal with IRB demands that
>people named in network questionnaires be considered consenting
>subjects?  A student just submitted a proposal and got this reply from
>our IRB:
>

>"There are spaces in the survey that ask respondents to list the names
>of people they know or who influence them.  Please add the text 'Please
>do not identify any individual by name-use a fake name or title for that
>person instead' to each place this occurs.  If other people are
>identified within the survey then they would qualify as subjects also
>and would have to consent to data about them being used."
>

>As discussed at a Sunbelt a couple of years back, this makes network
>research impractical to impossible.  If I am going to fight them I could
>use some ammunition.
>

>Thanks...
>

>Steve

>Steven R. (Steve) Corman
>
>Professor, Hugh Downs School of Human Communication
>
>Arizona State University
>
>http://www.public.asu.edu/~corman/

Evaluating Health Promotion Programs (Oxford U. Press):
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html

My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/

The Empirical Networks Project