See also the classic:

Feld, Scott L. 1991. "Why your friends have more friends than you do."
American Journal of Sociology 96:1464-1477.

Further, see recent power law hypotheses that network growth occurs
because  recent arrivals to a network select, at random, a member of the
existing population, and that further, they are directed to a neighbor
of this choice. These neighbors have a degree distribution proportional
to the distribution of degrees in the network, that is, most have few
degrees while a minority have very many. Which leads to the same point
that Feld made.

All this explains why there are all these parties that I never get
invited to.

Dan Novak wrote:

> "Having a huge network of online buddies does not mean you have any more
> close friends than the rest of us, a British researcher said on Monday."
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSL1064365820070910
>
> Dan Novak - Alliance Executive, IBM Healthcare and Life Sciences
> 6821 Sawgrass, Fort Worth TX  76132     817-870-3956

Charles Kadushin
Distinguished Scholar, Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies
Visiting Research Professor Sociology
Brandeis University

Voice: 212-865-4369
FAX:   646-383-8505