Hey everyone,

I decided that Leu Gardens in Orlando deserved a thorough birding instead of
being the place I stop at the end of the day after I hit all the other
spots.  So I arrived at 9 AM and left 4(!) hours later, not because I was
seeing anything extraordinary, but just because I was enjoying the birds and
I had nothing more fun on today's agenda.  Mostly the usual cast of
characters were hanging around, but there were a couple of fun "guest stars"
this morning:

Wood Duck
Double-Crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Egret
Green Heron
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Red-Tailed Hawk
Common Moorhen
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher (2)
White-Eyed Vireo (2)
Red-Eyed Vireo (lots and lots!)
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (lots and lots!)
Veery (1)
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Blackburnian Warbler (1, a dull first year bird, but still my first for
Florida!)
Yellow-Throated Warbler (4-5)
Black-and-White Warbler (1, Aha!!  Gotcha!!!!)
American Restart (3)
Summer Tanager (2, both females)
Northern Cardinal
Red-Winged Blackbird
House Finch (3)

Birds I maybe should have seen but didn't include Osprey, Ruby-Throated
Hummingbird and Northern Parula.

Harry P. Leu Gardens is located on the north side of downtown Orlando, near
the intersection of Mills Ave. and Virginia Ave. in Orange County.  There is
a $5.00 entrance fee for non-members.

Good birding!

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.