Hey everyone,

I began the day at Turkey Lake Park in Orlando's Metrowest area to look for
migrant passerines.  Not too much happening, but there were a couple of fun
birds:

Anhinga
Little Blue Heron
Osprey
Bald Eagle (1)
Cooper's Hawk
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher (2)
Red-Eyed Vireo (lots)
Blue Jay
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (lots)
Northern Mockingbird
Black-Throated Blue Warbler (1, male)
Yellow-Throated Warbler (1)
Prairie Warbler (6)
American Redstart (1)
Northern Cardinal

After lunch, I drove down to southern Polk County at the sod farms on the
corner of Avon Park Cuttoff Rd. and Singletary Rd.  There were lots of
shorebirds for close scrutiny, which is exactly what I need for practice:

Killdeer (lots)
Spotted Sandpiper (1)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (at least 1)
Western Sandpiper (at least 1)
Least Sandpiper (lots)
Pectoral Sandpiper (10-12)
Buff-Breasted Sandpiper (5, first in Florida for me!!  A group of 4 foraging
near each other, then a single bird mixed in with Killdeer)

I was sure to check for Baird's, but I couldn't find any, and I also checked
the Pectorals closely for Sharp-Tailed, but (of course) no luck!

Turkey Lake Park is on Hiawasee Rd. near the Turnpike in SW Orlando (Orange
Co.), and the sod farms are in S Polk County west of Highway 27, just north
of Avon Park.

Good birding!

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.