Nassau Sound, Bird Islands, Duval Co: Our FOS Peregrine falcon (juvenile) passing very near the Sawpit Creek boat ramp as we started our survey. On the Bird Islands we found 10,000 plus larids including 1,000s of Common Tern representing the migratory peak. The appearance of every Turkey Vulture over the islands stimulated immediate mobbing by Common Terns. Unlike all other tern species present this time of year, COTE frequently respond in similar manner to Ospreys aloft and even human observers crossing exposed shoals. Many fewer Black terns - perhaps 100 total, 1,000's of Royals with many banded and probably representing migrants from the Carolinas , increasing nos. of Caspian including juveniles. 7 Greater Black Back, 5 Lesser and the vanguard of juvenile Herring Gulls.

350 Red Knot with 17 bands including 1 resight from May and the first juveniles (8) arriving. 31 Willet in mid-sound with many additional shorebirds roosting and foraging on the sand islands but uncounted. Another mass roost of ca 5,000 mixed larids, including COTE and 96 Black Skimmer on Big Bird Island in the lower sound. Osprey beginning to concentrate in the sound, but no eagles sighted this morning.

Doris and Patrick Leary, Fernandina Beach