Hi all,
The first AYBC outing was held today and was a smashing success! We had 13 kids and their parents, and would have had more if some who had signed up had not been sick today. I welcomed all to the Club and described our overall program. Then we spent the first part of our meeting talking about urban and backyard birds, focusing on the basics of sucessful bird feeding.  I had a number of different kinds of bird seeds and feeders on hand, and discussed how to set them up, attracting different types of birds, bird baths, etc. Then we walked all around Cambier Park and adjacent streets, ending up with nine different species. This will start everyone on their way to the 15-Bird Certificate from the Wings Over Florida program.  It was a relatively quiet bird day but we did see numerous butterflies, dragonflies, and flowering trees that kept everyone interested.  Today's list included:
  1.. Mourning Dove
  2.. Eurasian Collared Dove
  3.. Red bellied Woodpecker
  4.. Downy Woodpecker
  5.. Northern Mockingbird
  6.. Blue Jay
  7.. Gray Kingbird
  8.. Common Moorhen
  9.. European Starling
We concluded the day with a raffle; each child was given a raffle ticket at sign-in, and we raffled off all the feeders and seeds so that everyone got a prize. I think the kids and their parents all had a good time and will spread the word about the Club.

Looking forward to new birders out there!

Best regards,
Gail Pettey
Naples