Hey everyone,

Chris Newton and I headed east today to check for some migrants at Turkey Creek.  We thought we'd stop at Viera to see what was happening as long as we were out there, too.  There weren't too many birds at Turkey Creek, but the temperature was sure comfortable to walk around in:

Turkey Creek:

Mottled Duck (flyovers)
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee (heard only)
White-Eyed Vireo (4-5)
Red-Eyed Vireo (8-10)
Blue Jay
Carolina Wren
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Veery (2)
Northern Parula (1)
Cape May Warbler (1)
Black-Throated Blue Warbler (2, both females)
Yellow-Throated Warbler (4-5)
American Redstart (5)
Ovenbird  (6)
Common Yellowthroat (1)
Northern Cardinal

Viera Wetlands:

Black-Bellied Whistling-Duck (20-25, including a brood of very small, very cute ducklings)
Wood Duck
Mottled Duck
Blue-Winged Teal
Northern Shoveler (1, female)
Pied-Billed Grebe
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Wood Stork
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Cooper's Hawk
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Crested Caracara (1 or 2)
Merlin (at least 1)
Sora (heard only)
Purple Gallinule (2)
Common Moorhen
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs (1, flooded sod farm)
Belted Kingfisher
Loggerhead Shrike
Common Yellowthroat
Boat-Tailed Grackle

Misses at Viera today included Least Bittern, Limpkin, and Red-Winged Blackbird(!).

Turkey Creek Sanctuary and Viera Wetlands are both located in southern Brevard County.

Good birding!

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.