In a presentation this morning, a basic scientist asked whether, in a management context, network analysts who use questionnaires to collect data about a closed network with the members shown in a list ever add false names as a control, to see if anyone would choose them.  I had never heard of this, think it sounds ethically suspect, but was, on the other hand, fascinated by the concept and what it might introduce. Does anyone know if there are any examples of this?

Naja McKenzie PhD

Arizona Cancer Center

Cancer Prevention and Control

University of Arizona