Suzanne,

I really like the idea of tutors training others in their own discipline areas.

This year, Janet Riswold at Sierra College, California, had her tutors review study and writing strategies for their subject area at http://www.howtostudy.org

Tutors then wrote reviews of their favorite handouts.  These were very personable speaking directly to students.

For example,

"Study Techniques for Chemistry
As a student of both general, organic and biochemistry I have become a professional at how to get through it without hating life. These study tips would help someone new to the subject so much!" Ashley Goerlich

"Math Study Skills Handouts
I found this site to be very helpful. Even as a math major, I found some interesting tools that I can use to help me get better scores on math tests. For instance, in reading the textbook, translating abstract formulas into verbal explanations is an interesting idea that I'm going to put into action to help me understand my area of expertise even better."  Michael Sharp

Then, there's the review, which speaks to other tutors:

Memory and Test Preparation Strategies
"As a Psychology Major I was immediately attracted to this resource and really enjoyed reading them. I'm also a tutor so as a tutor these are useful tips and strategies that can be used during a tutoring session to improve a tutee's learning skills and also test preparation. "  Patricia Pena

Janet had the students add her email address to the review, so she could see (track?) what the tutors were saying.

Tutors can have their names posted or remain anonymous -- their choice.

Now these reviews are posted on howtostudy.org.

I built this feature in on the concept of Amazon reviews, because it is just plain fun to read the reviews.  I feel that there is nothing like the student voice and that students might prefer to hear what other students and tutors are saying about a particular handout and especially in how to use the information.

So you might try this as an interim step before you get to full blown training.

Lucy

Lucy Tribble MacDonald, M.A.,M.A.Faculty Emerita
Chemeketa Community College
4977 Brookmeade DR
Sarasota, FL34232

http://www.howtostudy.org