Hi Karyn,

At UNC Greensboro, we do use a tiered pay scale.  We do this in order to:
1) reflect undergraduate, graduate, and professional status; 2) to stay
competitive with other offices on campus; and 3) to reflect each tutor's
completion of their CRLA certification requirements. When undergrads and
graduate student staff complete a CRLA certification level, they receive a
.50 cent pay raise. We also pay tutors two different pay rates: one for
individual sessions and one for group sessions.  Here's the breakdown:

Starting pay rates:             Individual      Group
Undergraduates          $8.00           $8.50
Graduate                        $9.50           $10.00

Bachelor's degree               $10.60          ----    (HRS will not
allow multiple pay rates for this classification)
Bachelor's for Nursing  $25.00          ----
Master's Nursing                $30.00          ----

Hope this helps!

Geoff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Bailey
Assistant Director / Tutor Coordinator
Learning Assistance Center, UNCG
159 Reynolds Hall
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
W (336) 334-3878
F (336) 334-5341

Karyn Schulz <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
12/07/2007 10:23 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
pay rate question

Hi fellow listservers,

I know this question has come up in the past but I wanted to ask it with
a twist.

We are considering implementing a new pay scale that would increase a
tutor's hourly rate based on criteria that includes CRLA certification,
years of tutoring and degree (s) earned. In order for this to be
approved we need to justify why this is necessary. We are hoping it
would do one of two things; attract new tutors and retain current
tutors.

If any tutoring centers have incremental pay scales, do you believe that
these benefits occur because of the increments?

You can respond off-list.

Thank you!

Karyn

Karyn Schulz, Ed.D.

Coordinator of Tutoring Services

University of Baltimore

Division of Enrollment Management

& Student Affairs

W (410) 837-5387

F (410) 837-6244

"It is not enough to take steps which may someday lead to a goal; each
step must be itself a goal and a step likewise." -- Goethe

browser to