my suspicion is that this has to do with the "psychological cost" of a
failed attempt to connect with someone.  there are lots of reasons why an
asycnhronous communication like an SMS or an e-mail may fail to generate
reciprocation, and many of these have nothing to do with the sender.
failing to receive reciprocation in a synchronous communication like a
face-to-face exchange or even an over-the-phone exchange...well, it's
harder to say that it happen because the intended target didn't receive
the message, and a lot easier to conclude that it has something to do with
the identity of the person trying to connect.  and i'd guess that, all
things being equal, people are inclined to shy away from exposing
themselves to feeling rejected as such.

but that's just a guess!  someone could probably do interesting research
ot see if this is really what's happening...

- chris

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Paul B. Hartzog wrote:

> Nevertheless
>
> Why is it easier to SMS a stranger than walk up and say "Hello"?
> Why is this still true even when you are already in the same physical
> space (like a bar)?
>
> There is room for some interesting psychology work here.
>
> -p
>
> On Dec 6, 2007 12:11 AM, Jon Lebkowsky <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting... icebrkr looks suspiciously like the infamous Quechup.
>>
>> ~ Jon
>>
>> On Dec 5, 2007 9:19 PM, Alvin Chin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>>>
>>> This reminds me of Japan's Lovegetty
>>> (http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9806/07/fringe/japan.lovegety/)
>>> where you have a mobile device and you have your profile on it.  When
>>> you're in a bar or social meeting place, the device will light up or
>>> so if you come in contact with someone else who matches your profile.
>>>  Well dating is a huge business and opportunity out there, so whatever
>>> technology can help to help someone find a match is a big deal.
>>>
>>> Technology finds the craziest and wackiest applications.
>>>
>>> Alvin

>> --
>> Jon Lebkowsky
>> Social Web Associates
>> http://socialwebassociates.com
>>
>> Polycot Associates
>> http://polycot.com
>>
>> Blog: http://weblogsky.com
>> Profile: http://profile.to/jonlebkowsky

> --
> http://www.PaulBHartzog.org
> http://www.panarchy.com
> The Universe is made up of stories, not atoms.
>                 --Muriel Rukeyser
>
> See differently, then you will act differently.
>                 --Paul B. Hartzog

---
Christopher Wheat
Assistant Professor of Strategy