The science (or the specific methodological toolbox) known as social
network analysis has been around, as most of you know, for a long time -
read Freeman's excellent overview for its pre-Internet-ian geneaology.
The buzzword of social networking and the fairly recent hype in online
web communities (Facebook/Myspace/whatever) could be a great energy
boost and inspiration to the science of SNA - not only contributing with
exciting new social landscapes and datasets to analyze using SNA tools
but perhaps also as methodological inspiration.

But I don't think I'm the only one being somewhat worried about the
future public standing of science-SNA when it explicitly has to be
pointed out that there indeed can be social networks, and indeed social
network analysis, in off-web social settings. Or is this how the
situation was for the science of mathematical statistics when economics
took a fancy for it in the early 20th century?

/Carl

--
Carl Nordlund, BA, PhD student
carl.nordlund(at)humecol.lu.se