Thanks for SugerCRM reference and the kitten one. I remember the kitten meme and the image floating around the web:

http://www.b3ta.com/images/features/awards2003/godkills.jpg

Hadn't heard it applied to Total Cost of Ownership, but reference made me laugh.

The SugerCRM SNA module had come up in a Google search. I'm not particularly techie (even though I have access to some who are), so I contacted Q-Industries about the module they created but haven't heard back from them.

Interestingly, I had some off list feedback about why I though the combo of Contacts and SNA makes sense for the non-consultant/analyst?

This made me think that there was more to the kind of visualisation I was trying to achieve ... although I basically explained that I was dyslexic so had made a leap of faith.

Seriously, I think the likes of Linked In and other business networks have helped business managers understand the importance and benefits of social networks.

However, they may not want to be sharing their contacts and targets publicly in a network like LinkedIN, NING or ZING and also ZING seems to be the only one that displays the connections less linearly.

So let's say I think that the organisations I'm helping need to be connecting with the Minister for Development in the UK (as a result of the article I've read yesterday):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/dec/10/internationalaidanddevelopment.google

So we have Gordon Brown (Prime Minister) with one link to Lady Vadera (The development minister).

So Lady Vadera is an influential target. I'd stick her in the Contact Management DB as a target. Now turns out that when I mentioned this to the development organisation today, they mentioned it to one of their contacts who said interesting because one of their contacts was meeting Lady Vadera today. So I've now worked out the degrees of separation for the development organisation I'm helping and stick names in the database. Therefore they know who they need to connect with and influence in order to influence the influencer(s).

Obviously all of this could be done without the graphic mapping and SNA, but I think the visual representation (rather than list like interfaces of LinkedIn et al) helps those within the organisation think of their contacts in terms of their relationships as well as the individual importance.

Interestingly, I linked from Orgnet site the other day to a company that had some organisational mapping software (it was an ad on the site). I had seen the way InFlow mapped the relationships as follows:

http://www.orgnet.com/kite_flo.gif

What I likes about their software on the site I linked to was the way that it included the photos of the people within the organisation ... however it was about organisational analysis in terms of structure rather than a representation of people in terms of the connections between individulas regardless of whether they were in one organisation or not.

I can actually see how mapping the structure of a donor organisation could be useful particularly if it's about funding as it would be useful to know who is reporting to who and look at those relationships visually.

It's just not what I'm looking for.

So here's another example. The above article mentioned that Kevin Watkins is editor of the UN's annual human development report. Now I'd add this in High Rise and add a note saying that he's someone worth connecting with because the development organisation is already connecting with the UN. So Kevin becomes a target contact and I can set a task which says next time they meet the UN they should mention Kevin and see if anyone is connected to him.

What you end up doing with the SNA Visualisation is see the widows and orphans, so to speak. So there will be targets where there's no direct connection but also targets where there is some kind of connection ... so and so works for the UN and so does target contact so and so.

Hope this makes things clearer.