Rick ... sounds like we are on the same page. Not sure that NING is a workable solution because although you can create a private network the contacts have to be registered to NING by having their email addresses validated. Also any contact added is also part of the wider NING network.

Having spoken to a few people on this list. It seems like this is a possible route:

(37 Signals) HighRiseHQ (Contact Managment)  >>> Buddy List >>> SNA Module

There's an API for HighRise:

http://developer.37signals.com/highrise/

Novák Áron has create a SNA module in Drupal:

http://drupal.org/node/60614

However, some other SNA module could be used like Valdis Kreb's Java-based one.

There's also a Drupal Buddy List module:

http://drupal.org/handbook/modules/buddylist

Drupal is not everyone's cup of tea though, and so another option would be some SugerCRM solution with SNA module and Q-Industries could build you one but it would be bespoke.

In the meantime, I've asked some developers to look into the route above (e.g. HighRiseHQ  >>> Buddy List >>> SNA Module

But if anyone else knows some Drupal developers then let me know as I'm helping a not-for-profit that has this requirement.