I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I've always thought (and
preached) that the SN component should always exist as an adjunct to
something else, and not as an end in itself - what Jyri Engeström called
object-centered sociality. Some sites (e.g. Flickr) do this pretty well.
Facebook offers many "objects," and a minifeed so that people are visible in
the context of activities, applications - "objects." I think that's why
Facebook is - so far - succeeding.

~ Jon

--
Jon Lebkowsky