On December 28th we will begin the 3rd year of our red knot research project.  It involves an international team of red knot experts who will spend about 10 days on the southwest coast working with us to capture, band, and collect vital biological data from Florida's red knot wintering population.  In order for the project to be successful, we have to first find the knots!  Because migrating knots move around so much throughout the state, we are specifically interested in sightings of large flocks (at least 50 individuals) that are observed during the month of December.  The closer to the project date, the better!  Toward the end of the project, we will conduct an aerial survey of the entire west coast, so observations from anywhere in the state will help us.

  If anyone is willing to check specific sites (stretches of beach) along the southwest coast on December 26 or 27 (or you're doing a CBC on the coast around them), please send me an email so we can coordinate.  If we know what sites have already been checked, we won't expend a lot of effort to cover it ourselves.  This would be a huge help to the project!

  From December 28 through January 6, I will be working on the project.  If you have any exciting red knot sightings during that time, please give me a call on my cell phone: 863-581-6903.

  Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.  Nancy

    Nancy Douglass
  Regional Nongame Biologist, Southwest Region
  Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
  3900 Drane Field Road
  Lakeland, Florida 33811
  863-648-3200

  P.S.  If you happen to get any knot band re-sightings those can be emailed to Bill Pitts at: [log in to unmask]