We just received a Common Eider into our bird hospital at the Marine Science Center in Ponce Inlet, Volusia County.  The bird appears to be in juvenile plumage, probably a juvenile male. The bird was found by the Beach Patrol in Daytona Beach Shores on the beach wrapped in monofilament and with fishing hooks through the tongue and the left foot.

Our medical staff has treated the bird and it is doing very well.  The bird will probably be able to be released in a few days.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet